Posted by Realtor David Olson 952.314.9446
The village of Mounds View, Minnesota, was established in 1958. However, its history starts much earlier. Since the Territorial Legislature established most counties and townships, the Township of Mounds View was created on May 11, 1858, the same day Minnesota became a state.
When the infrequent traveler would pass through the township, the features that were extremely noticeable were the unique mounds of sand and gravel in its northwest corner, high enough to be seen from almost anywhere in much of Ramsey County. Currently, the mounds are no longer there, as they forewent the effects of the environments well as the needs of the country during World War II when the area became used as an important small arms arsenal. It was these mounds that gave the township its name.
Until 1936 the population remained stagnant. The community consisted of a few dispersed farms, a few old dirt roads and large areas of wooded land. Most real estate developers had overlooked the land because it was located too far north of Minneapolis and St. Paul, five miles beyond their city limits. For these reasons, the population stayed the same for many years.
However, by 1938, developers had started to understand the potential for suburban housing in Mounds View Township, and by 1939, there were 45 new homes in the newly named Knollwood Park. As the population increased, so did the community culture.
In 1951, the township lines changed with the break off of over 6,000 acres and 2,000 people to create the Village of Arden Hills. For the next several years, shares of Mounds View Township annexed into surrounding communities. Finally, in 1958, Mounds View Township became its own village by majority vote, and since that day has been a thriving suburb that is continuing to grow.
If you have any questions regarding the city of Mounds View, Minnesota, or if you would like to sell or buy a house in the area, please feel free to visit TwinCitiesPropertyFinder.com or call 1-800-909-1953.
Related City Articles